- "Maria, don't worry, you aren't one of those Mexican right?" (They waited for me to answer). "You will probably be safe." (Snickers as he walks away.)
- "Get ready to go home!"
- "Your kids are legal right?"
- "Just be more AMERICAN when you encounter any more racial slurs."
- You probably shouldn't travel any where just in case right? (They laugh)
- "Does your family have passports to prove you are here legally?" (I was already in the processes of getting some for the kids as a precaution but they didn't know that.)
But I should just get over it right? I don't want it to affect our friendship so we are good right? NO we aren't good. For many of us it may take a really long time to be "Good", "To Get Over It". and "To Stop being a Cry Baby".
My name is Maria, and this is why I'm scared.