Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Because My Article about Transgender Rights Generated Death Threats

In May 20016 I wrote an opinion piece for the Huffington Post supporting transgender bathroom rights. I wrote it for Christians, within a Christian context. I used the biblical creation account and the moment when Mary conceived Jesus as the basis for my premise.

It was a provocative piece, meant to generate discussion and draw attention.

But what happened shocked me. The story went viral, and thousands of people commented on websites, YouTube channels, and social media outlets. People were outraged. They called me all sorts of names, and suggested that my mother should have aborted me. Some said that the Huffington Post offices should be bombed. Others said that they wanted to kill me, and my family.

These responses were from Christians. Some were from white supremacist groups.

This is my story. And this is why I'm scared.